Monday, April 23, 2012

Random meeting


Very often we are so quick to dismiss somebody by the way they look at us, are dressed or because they are sitting in your seat on a plane.
I flew back from Durban to Cape Town on Sunday and there was a lady sitting in the isle seat, I had the window seat booked, when I approached indicating I wanted to get through, she simply slid over and was now actually in my seat. I did not think much of this, but was not very amused, I sat in the middle seat anyway.
about 20 minutes after take off I noticed that she was clearly a nervous flyer as she had not said a word and was rubbing her hands awkwardly. 
I had to ask if she was ok, this started a conversation that lead me to shed a tear and eventually take her details.
She was turning 50 today, it was the first time in her life she had flown and was on her way to Cape Town to see her first grandchild who was born that same day. 
Shaheeda then went on to tell me about her 13 year old daughter, Bibi-Aishah who lives with Brittle Bone disease and I was truly humbled, she has broken 52 bones in her life and is in a wheelchair, my first response was to say "shame" when Shaheeda immediately commented that her daughter would have asked me why I would have said that as she believes she is just like everybody else. 
Aishah at 13 has started a society that raises money to buy wheelchairs for those who can not afford them, she speaks at schools and is an inspirational young woman. 


So the next time you think of dismissing some body think of the potential a random meeting could have. Contact Aishah on facebook or her mom on essop@webmail.co.za
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003211625465&sk=info -

No comments:

Post a Comment